My Photo
Name:
Location: India

Love to have fun (well who doesn't)! I am little bit of a party animal, but wouldn't mind spending an evening reading a book or just watching the tv. I do tend to talk a lot but sometimes i plain switch off and brood...still dont know what about. I love dogs!! I have one of my own and he is the best gift I gave myself.

myspace

Friday, October 28, 2005

27th October Chennai


I went to sleep hearing the rain on my windowpane. And all I was thinking about was the fact that I would have to get muck all over me the next day. Working days with rain...

I didn't sleep well; I kept getting up to check if it was still raining. Around 7:45 in the morning Nans (Hostel mate) came to the room; she said it was pouring and wanted to know if I would like to check what the roads looked like. Oh well, at that time of the morning nobody is around; especially on a rainy day, that too on mount road. So we braved the rain and went out in our nightclothes (yep!) and under one umbrella. By the time we walked down the road and reached the service lane overlooking mount road, we were wading in ankle deep water and completely drenched : ). But it was fun; the water was cooollllddd.
We got back to hostel and sat down to watch the news. Guess what? All schools and colleges were closed. That didn't help me much since I had to go to office. Some of my hostel mates were quite happy considering their semester exams were on. So, naturally their exams got cancelled. I went in to get ready. Sigh! Life is just not fair sometimes. Then I called up a colleague of mine, she told me not to go since it was pouring cats and dogs and most of the roads were water logged. I called the others and got the same response. A rainy day and it was a holiday! (Not exactly a holiday since we didnt know if the office had declared it a holiday).

My mom was supposed to come down to Chennai. I called up dad, he had already put mom on the train. I was a little tense considering it was pouring and trains were getting cancelled. No matter, I went out around 1:00 to go to the station. Waded through water, Chotu was with me (Priya- hostel mate). No matter how warm we were dressed we were cold and the umbrella and raincoats were hardly any protection. The wind kept pulling the umbrella, then the umbrella got folded the other way...eeee it was too funny. We got the umbrella straight again. Thankfully we got an auto. Phew!!! Now we were drenched and sitting in an auto driving through roads which had knee-deep water. We finally reached the station. It was packed; I went up to the display board only to know that all trains were cancelled. We went to the stationmaster and he told us the train my mother was traveling in was not coming it had been stopped. In fact all trains from Chennai were cancelled, so were the incoming ones.
I could not get through to my mother; her number was out of reach.Needless to say, dad was worried so was my sister. I got strict orders from dad to get back to the hostel and the same from my sister. The weather reports had predicted a cyclone. After waiting for an hour, we got back to the hostel. It was around four something when mom called, she was fine. Her train had been stopped, so she was taking an electric train to reach Chennai. She reached the station and dad sent some people to pick her up. Phew! What a day.

Well back in the hostel were in a mood to eat something hot and cheesy. We decided to call up and order for food. But guess what? They were not delivering due to the rain. Wahh! But we had fun playing cards, watching TV, reading etc.
Well today is a working day, the sun is nice and bright. And the office had declared 27th as a holiday :D.

1 Comments:

Blogger Accidental Fame Junkie said...

Hey Zena, I know what you mean! I was rained in and shut out from the rest of the civilization! At least you got to go out! :)

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home