My Photo
Name:
Location: India

Love to have fun (well who doesn't)! I am little bit of a party animal, but wouldn't mind spending an evening reading a book or just watching the tv. I do tend to talk a lot but sometimes i plain switch off and brood...still dont know what about. I love dogs!! I have one of my own and he is the best gift I gave myself.

myspace

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Noises in the Night

Since it was pouring on Friday, most of us decided to turn in early. And so here I was sleeping peacefully when I heard this scream. I thought I was probably dreaming this at first, and then I turned to see if my roommate was awake. She was, and was clutching her sheet up to her mouth. She was staring at me and wasn’t even blinking, god that gave me the creeps. The scream came again louder this time, rite outside my balcony. My roommate jumped out of the bed and came on mine. I asked her ‘did you hear that? Should we go out and check?’ I was given this horrified look with a vehement No! It was a man who was screaming; don’t think both of us were too keen to find out.
The screams kept coming and they sounded horrible, filled with pain. Since we didn’t want to go out in the balcony, we decided to get out of the room and go to the others. We got out and saw that the lights were on in the drawing room and everyone was up.

Around midnight, while two of my hostel mates were sitting out in the balcony (upstairs); they saw a man jump the gate and he had a huge log of wood in his hand. He started running towards the hostel keeping near the bushes. That’s when the girls alerted the watchman, who went after him. The watchman caught the guy but was beating him right outside my balcony. That’s what I had woken to. The screams were still going on and well most of us had our ears covered. Suddenly it stopped, we went towards the main door and looked out, the watchman came up and said that the guy had slipped away and was hiding in the shed.


Since the sheds are more like abandoned buildings behind the hostel, it was not safe to venture out in them. We decided to call up the ncc mess that was right next to out hostel. Two bhaiyas came over. Ten minutes there was no sign of that man, so the watchman decided to go out of the gate and look. While these two bhaiyas were keeping watch. Suddenly this man emerged and the bhaiyas went after him. They caught him and started questioning him. He looked horrible and scary. He was acting as if he didn’t know where he was or who he was. The warden decided that he was probably pretending to be mad. Since it was raining and calling the MP in the middle of the night would take a long time; we decided to call the cops.
The cops came, they checked the grounds and then took the guy away. Phew! We then called up the OIC and informed him about the whole affair. It was over, finally.

It was still pouring and with the special effects of thunder and lightning. Nobody wanted to go to sleep after that so we all sat together in the drawing room. Finally around three we all went to bed. I was having a very restless sleep, since I could not get the horrible incident outta my head. Suddenly my roommate screamed. (We sleep with the lights on). She got up looked at the balcony and said "that man". Well since she sleeps near the balcony side I thought there was another man out there. Then she turns to me and said “you woke me up” and promptly went off to sleep. I was sitting with my mouth open. Yikes, she scared the hell out of me. The next morning, she did not have any recollection of the whole incident, except a sheepish grin. Needless to say I was awake throughout the night staring into the balcony.

9 Comments:

Blogger Naveen said...

Ohh.ye poor gal! I guess you would have slept well on saturday! My sister also met with such an incident in her hostel! Huh!

10:36 AM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

Well I slept during the day.:)

11:06 AM  
Blogger AquaM said...

lol..."Life's like that"..glad that the whole thing was settled!
:)
AquaM

11:50 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

Hello, I've had worse experiences in hostels and to top it all, I did not share my room with anyone. But I considered it more of a blessing than a problem :D

11:57 AM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Its always nice to experience such incidents once in a while...especially at night...

It helps you to find out:
1-whether you are cabale of getting up on time when needed
2-whther you are brave enuogh to handle such situation
3-even while in sleep, are you able to remember the Police Helpline no properly.

Good to know that you carried all of em. Now I'm proud of you!!

12:56 PM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

AquaM,
Yep, I am glad its all settled!

Rita,
I know I have heard real bad ones but never thought something like this would happen in my hostel.

arzOOOn,
Brave enough? Well since I am one of the oldest and one of them was huddled close to me(scared of lightning and thunder), I really didnt have time to get scared.
But the worst was the screams and the man getting beaten.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Narsimha said...

lol.. u guys sleep with the lights on..
man! how can u ever get sleep like tat..
but yeah tat was scary.. cant say wot next can happen in this day n age

10:22 PM  
Blogger Accidental Fame Junkie said...

That was one scary night! I'm not scared of ghosts but I am scared of thieves.

10:26 AM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

sonu,
Got used to the lights bit. We cant sleep if the lights are switched off especially in our room. Yep you never know whats gonna happen next.

AFJ,
One scary nite, but it was super fun, almost adeventurous. ;)

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home