My Photo
Name:
Location: India

Love to have fun (well who doesn't)! I am little bit of a party animal, but wouldn't mind spending an evening reading a book or just watching the tv. I do tend to talk a lot but sometimes i plain switch off and brood...still dont know what about. I love dogs!! I have one of my own and he is the best gift I gave myself.

myspace

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Identity

What’s in a name right? Its like an I.D. card. Havent you heard " Hey that is Mikes sister", "isnt that Sowmyas mommy?". You are recongnised, hated, loved, ignored...by your name. Its like a symbol or something. A name brings back memories, faces, places, loved ones, happy times, sad times...anything and everything.

Well here I was sitting and doing nothing when all of a sudden I wanted to know what my name meant. I did have a vague idea about it, but wanted to get it right. So went to google and searched and searched and found out that my name has a Greek origin to it. How cool is that? It also has an Italian and English mix.

I wonder what mom was thinking when she named me. Well actually my mom gave me one and my grandpa gave me one; names I mean. You have names like “ Sarah Anna Jacob” here you have two names Sarah and Anna. The same way I have two names. Mom actually gave me one name but oh no my grandpa just had to add on one more to the list. But it feels nice when your name sounds unique and glamorous.

But its not that nice when your name gets you into all kinds of trouble with your seniors. It’s not nice when you end up somewhere down in the roll call. Well I used to hate my name in school and teachers never ever got my name right and some people still don’t.

I just hate it when people pronounce my name all wrong. Then you have to correct them. Then they will get into this conversation about the history behind my name.*Yeah like I had a choice here buddy*.

All in all I like the way my name sounds. (Big grin) *I know I have lost it. *

10 Comments:

Blogger San said...

I disliked my name at one time, it was too long and well didnt suit me or so I though but now I wouldn't be called by any other name :) - I too can't stand people pronouncing or spelling my name incorrectly and trust me people always mistake the g for a j!

3:54 PM  
Blogger San said...

oh and hope you are having a good break :) Happy New Year

3:54 PM  
Blogger Ashish said...

I detested my first name but now after all these years i 've grown into it .Well since my current abode is NOT INDIA , people do go bonkers when they realize my name is almost alphabet by alphabet a "CLASS A DRUG" and they automatically come to a conclusion my folks were HIPPIEZ in the good 'ol days. .....Let's not go into my middle name ...HUSH HUSH !:)

4:15 PM  
Blogger Narsimha said...

Lol.. i still remember how in school i was to be teased as the ex prime minister rao. i used to hate it n still do cuz it used to be the longest name in my class.

so i prefer my nick inspite of it being girlish n lame :)
n i have already decided that my childs name wouldnt be longer than 5 lettters

4:21 PM  
Blogger Accidental Fame Junkie said...

I didn't like my name for a long time but I have learned to like over time. Especially since I got to know what it means. :)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Naveen said...

I like my name. My full name (Naveen + Surname) is unique though pretty long and tough to pronounce(not for Indians!). In the US, people try to pronounce my last name and end up saying, Uhhh..., ha! how would I say that ?? :) I can never make them get it right :(

9:47 PM  
Blogger Naveen said...

Hey Ramblings, it is fascinating to know that your name has a Greek origin with an Italian-English mix!! No way of guessing :) You shouldnt be having problems with your name in Europe :)

9:54 PM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

Sangeeta,
They actually replace the g for a j? Yikes! :D
Happy new year!

ashish,
Hippies? lol.

sonu,
I completely agree with you on that. :)

AFJ,
I know the whole story...ha ha.

naveen,
Must be really funny what they come up with. Yep, no way of guessing!

9:36 AM  
Blogger AquaM said...

I love my name. Simple n sweet. But I hate what they are going to do to Bangalore!!!!! (Bengalooru stinks)

4:07 PM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

AquaM,
I know, I love ur name too sow sow :P
They are naming B'lore as wat? :O

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home